Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sermon Sunday---Hymns

festival and birds 020

Last week I posted some of my favorite worship songs. The children and I have been listening to them all week, and even learning some of the signs to some of them. This week, I think I will post links to some of my favorite hymns, so we can enjoy these timeless classics all this week. Each of these song is a traditional hymn sung by a contemporary band. I only chose ones that stayed fairly true to the original tunes.

Our local Christian station does a program each Sunday morning from 8-9 am that features hymns like these, interspersed with inspirational stories about the hymn writers and missionaries. We enjoy listening to it as we eat our breakfast in the morning, but wish they played similar programming all week. Here is a link to their site where you can stream whatever is currently playing, if you are interested in listening with your own family,

I pray blessings for you and your families this week. Thank you to any who served our country in the past or who currently serve, especially those who are currently absent from their families, for whatever reason. Your sacrifices of time, convenience, and sometimes even health and/or life are deeply appreciated by my family.

Blessings,

Heather
----------------------------------------------

'Tis So Sweet to Trust in Jesus


Blessed Assurance 

How Great Thou Art


In Christ Alone 


Great Is Thy Faithfulness 

My Jesus I Love Thee

I Need Thee Every Hour


Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing 


Here’s a slightly different, but popular take on the
classic hymn, Amazing Grace, by Chris Tomlin:


And last, but not least, my favorite hymn,
Be Thou My Vision, sung by Selah.





Please take the time to listen to this one. It is a very well-done version of the song, and quite beautiful. 


If you enjoy this song, I highly recommend Selah’s entire Greatest Hymns album, as well as Avalon: Faith, A Hymns Collection. Both are inspiring and uplifting.

------------------------------------

I hope you enjoyed hearing some of our favorite hymns, and maybe even sang along with the ones you knew! Our Heavenly Father loves to hear our voices raised in praise of Him. We should do this everyday, not just on Sundays…why don't you try this week to make every day a SON-day?

Blessings for a week full of praise,

Heather

A final word on singing hymns: Here’s a freebie the whole family can enjoy, even if you don’t have any formal training in singing. Visit The Genevan Foundation to hear a full harmony version of another favorite of ours, Crown Him With Many Crowns, then you can also listen to each of the four parts SEPARATELY, so each voice type in your household can learn their part before putting it all together in harmony. If you like what you hear, you can order a cd collection of more songs for your family to practice as a household. Enjoy!

1 comment:

Stacie said...

Some days, I just want to worship the Lord with a good old fashioned hymn. They are so beautiful and moving. Thanks so much for posting this.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...