Friday, November 18, 2011

Top Ten Reasons Why Homeschooling Works for Us

Here's a list of my top ten reasons why homeschooling works for our family. 

If you have more to add, please feel free to comment. 
I love comments!




  1. We are convicted that God gave our kids to us and that we are able to be our children's best teachers. God will meet our needs as we follow His desire for us to home educate our children. What better gift can I give my kids than the gift of my attention and my time?
  2. We are able to individualize the curriculum according to each student's needs. One of my students can be two grades above level in history, three in reading, on level in math, and one level behind in spelling (ooops, how did that happen?) and that's not a problem.
  3. I can direct our studies towards developing each student's God-given gifts and calling. If he is an outdoorsy child who loves the earth and animals, I can find him opportunities to work with the Master Gardeners and apprentice him with a veterinarian. If he loves computers and books, I can set him up to volunteer at the library technology help desk...during school hours (and call it "Computer Class". ;-) This also allows them to "socialize" and learn from people of a variety of ages, not just their often "foolish" age peers.
  4. My children can develop deeper relationships with each other since they are together for long periods of time regularly. They LIKE each other. I love that.
  5. My children can develop deeper relationships with me (and their father) since we are in each other's company regularly. I LIKE them...a lot. I think they like me, too. Not to mention the fact that they have more time to spend with their grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. Family is very important to us.
  6. Bible is always on our class schedule. No problem. Prayer is allowed in our school (and encouraged). Amen! Our school's worldview is unashamedly Christian, and I do not have to worry what things my children are being taught that I will have to un-teach. Along with this goes the fact that our kids have more time to be available to be of service to others, such as widows and the needy, just as the Bible commands us to do.
  7. When family crises or celebratory events (death, illness, birth, weddings) occur, my kids can be there. They can help. They do not have to struggle with tons of make-up work when it is time to start school again. Homeschooling is flexible.
  8. They are also there for the day-to-day happenings like "mom has a headache, let's keep the kids quiet for a few hours," or "hurry up and clean, our friends are on their way," or "it's a beautiful day so let's go for a nature walk instead of doing math." They learn to be servants to others in their own homes AND they learn that many fun and interesting things happen at home. That's one of my favorites.
  9. When my military husband is home, we can take time off to enjoy his company, no questions asked. When he's gone, school is in session AND When our military family has to move, we take our school with us. No awkward transitions from one school to the next. Our house may be different, but our books and classmates...and teacher...remain the same.
  10. I just love, love, love the homeschooling convention every year.It is AWESOME!! I am glad I have at least sixteen more years to look forward to attending it as a mom/teacher. After that, maybe they will let me sneak in as a grandma.
Blessings,

Heather

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just signed up to your blogs rss feed. Will you post more on this subject?
My site is on [url=http://bestcamera.webs.com/]Canon Cameras[/url].

Trophy and Barb said...

LOVE this. Thanks for visiting Training our Daughters. I'm a new follower of your blog!

Blessings,
Barb

Kristina said...

these are awesome reasons- we are homeschooling for most of these, but need to work on accomplishing some of them

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...