Friday, October 29, 2010

Making Your Home a Haven Fall Challenge


I happened across this Fall Challenge late in the game, but since it is right in line with what I have been trying to do this month, I think I am going to participate for the last few weeks. Here is a roundup of what the challenges for the month of October are, and a bit about what I've done with them.

Week One--October 3rd: Light a candle in your home every day. We do this regularly. All this week we have been enjoying Apples and Cinnamon, and Pumpkin Pie Spice candles. They smell good enough to eat.

Week Two--October 10th: Listen to soft music every day in your home. This is another regular thing at our house. Often, we listen to classical music. I have a few "Classical Masterpieces" loaded in the five cd disk changer and they can play for hours. I also like to stream my local Christian station, WWIP 89.1 through the computer. Tex has discovered Pandora, and has been experimenting with music genres, from Michael Buble and classical crooners to TransSiberian Orchestra (only the quieter numbers would qualify here) and Kenny G. I have an account on YouTube and one of my playlists is Worship Songs. I will click on that and it will play all forty plus songs I've picked, and the kids can watch and sing along. We love music.

Week Three--October 17th: Clean up clutter! That works for me, especially this week. With several of the wee ones, and myself, falling prey to the stomach flu this week, I have been moving slowly enough to REALLY see some of the clutter spots around the house. Since running around outside, in spite of the gorgeous weather, is out of the question, I decided to SLOOOOWLY clean off the five bookshelves in the back room, organize and label them, and gather as many of the unneeded books and SELL them. I just can't seem to let myself just BE SICK, so I have to devise these simple, yet rewarding activities, to justify my reduced activity. I think I would classify guilt as spiritual clutter, and one of the specifications of this week's challenge was to reduce spiritual clutter, not just physical clutter. Any ideas or suggestions on how to feel less guilty for not getting everything done?

Week Four--October 24th: "Keep the candle going, the music playing, and add some tender moments with your family." I have been trying to do that this month, all month long. I have made a focused effort to get out games with the little kids more, to be more spontaneous, and to make sure I don't miss out on our reading aloud time. A bit over a week ago, hubby and Bubba went together to a pro football game in Washington D.C. for the day, and tomorrow, Tex and his dad head to NC for a Christian concert event with Max Lucado, Michael W.Smith, Third Day, and Toby Mac (the boys each paid for their own tickets to their respective events, and Bubba paid for part of his dad's ticket as a Christmas gift). I think helping fathers to do things with their children individually is included in the "tender moments with family" category. I also really enjoyed our wonderful trip to Yorktown last week, and while hubby and Tex are gone, I plan to make caramel apples with the little ones, pop popcorn, and watch a movie with them, so they have a special treat, too.

Week Five--October 31st:  The next challenge will be to "Focus on the kitchen, the heart of the home. Cook things with pleasant aromas. Pick a meal the family can cook together - include everyone in a task and take pictures so everyone can remember moments in the kitchen together - test tasting, being creative, laughing and loving. Remove discontentment with your home or family and give thanks to God for the home God has given you to in which to create a haven for your family." I have neglected Menu Plan Monday for two weeks now (hubby has been on crazy shift-work and it just hasn't fit it time-wise), and I need to let Ladybug get out the cookbooks and help me plan the family's favorites for next week. She loves doing that. She is always so proud when we have written our menu out on the marker board. Tonight is Triple-decker Tortilla Pie, so we are looking forward to that one. The kids have already asked twice when it will be time to make dinner and we haven't even head lunch yet. I guess they like Tortilla Pie!

This challenge is a nice idea...I will be certainly checking out the Women Living Well site again for more great challenges and information. You should head over there and see some of her video clips...there is one of her on the Rachel Ray show talking about bringing back homemaking as an honored profession. It's great.

I will also post pictures of the organized bookshelves, once I finish (today, I hope), and perhaps, pictures of the Tortilla Pie (if I remember before we dive in) to go with the recipe, so check back later!

Blessings to you for a beautiful day in your haven,

Heather

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...