Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Nature Study Tuesday---Bee-utiful Bees



Here's what Tex discovered hanging around one of our marigold blossoms yesterday.




Whatever was in that flower must have been good, because this bumble bee was not going to be moved from his golden treasure (marigold nectar must be yummy to bees, I guess).







He was so single-minded in his quest for whatever it was he was after, that he let all of the kids, and me, pet him. It was quite interesting actually, and rather exciting. His fuzz was very soft. He posed for a few pictures, then we left him alone to forage in peace.





We went back the next day and he was still there (or one just like him) with a friend or two. I guess the word got out that our marigolds are like the Godiva Chocolate of the bee world.

Tex looked up bees and discovered that there are bees that mainly spread pollen (bumble bees) and bees that mainly manufacture honey (honey bees). Apparently, bumble bees only make enough honey to feed their young, but they are very important pollinators. We are pretty sure this one was the bumbly type since it had a fuzzy body and was so mellow.

We couldn't resist singing a tune while we watched the bee bumble around. Yep, you guessed it..."I'm bringing home a baby bumble bee. Won't my mommy be so proud of me? Yes, I'm bringing home a baby bumble bee. Ouch! He stung me!"

I'll bet that song is stuck in your head now (it is in mine). It will probably stay there all day...Oops. Sorry!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kingdom - Animalia
Phylum - Arthropoda
Class – Insecta
Order – Hymenoptera
Family - Apidae
Genus - Bombus
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
I hope you had a wonderful day like we did. I love how there is something new to see and learn every day, don't you?

Blessings,

Heather

1 comment:

Betty said...

Thanks for joining Nature Study Tuesday. Fun bees, love all the pictures.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...