Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sermon Sunday---Taking a break for the kids...

This week on Sermon Sunday, I am doing something a little different. I realized that I have been posting at the last minute on some weekends, rushing to listen to a sermon or two late on a Sunday night, after a busy day with the family. I have been thinking that that is not the best choice, for myself or for my kids, who need me to be on the top of my game the next morning.

I have decided that to counter that trend, I am going to spend the next week listening to sermons about my new topic, so I can get the next post together BEFORE Sunday and schedule it to post automatically in the morning...leaving nothing for me to worry about on Sunday, but my Lord and my family, as it should be.

So this Sunday (to give myself some time off), I am going to make a simple post of some sweet things that my kids will enjoy some day during this week, when I need them to take a moment to let me work on something else. A few favorite songs, I think, and a God-honoring story or two.

If you would like to join us in singing and watching, please do!! If not, I hope you will check back next week for another Sermon Sunday post...the next one will be on Family Worship.

------------------------------------------------------

We will start with a few songs, especially for the Three Amigos.


This one is a favorite of all three. I thought this version of Jesus Loves Me was cute. The kids love to do the motions as they sing...it's not all exactly ASL, but I think using the motions adds to the understanding of the song. As they get older, we will get more exact with the signs (and as I learn more!)



Firefly and Cowboy really like He's Got the Whole World in His Hands. I like Cullen's ABC's. She does a nice job for the kids. If you have preschoolers, you should check out her other stuff.



Firm Foundation is Ladybug's favorite that we sing in church. I couldn't leave it out. They love the part where you "echo" the song leader, or as in our church, the men sing one part and the women sing the other.



------------------------------------------

This story is a new favorite. It's called That's Where God Is by Dan and Ali Morrow. I recently found out that Ali is Lee Strobel's daughter (he wrote the Case for Christ books...amazing stuff! If you've never read it, you need to go get it today). Knowing that the authors are related to him and that maybe he is the grandpa this story is based upon, makes me like this story even more.




------------------------------------------------------

We also have a series of three parts of the classic story The Legend of the Three Trees. If you've never heard this one, or never read it to your kids, make yourself (and them) comfortable and enjoy. If it's already a favorite of yours, I hope you will appreciate hearing it again, just like we do.







---------------------------------------------

Lastly, here is a good representation of the chasm between us and God, sin, the cross, and how Jesus helps us get back to God. You can view this together and talk about it if your little ones have questions after the Legend of the Three Trees.



I hope you enjoy your time together, singing and watching these movies. We did.


Blessings to you all for a wonderful Sunday,

Heather

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...