Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Nothing But Net--Internet That Is


Seeds Of Faith For The Christian Mom



I discovered a new blog I like today. It's called Seeds of Faith: Planting God's Love in the Hearts of Women. It's a group blog, kind of  like a Blog Carnival or an online magazine of sorts, where there are many different contributors, and is full of wonderful wisdom. I called today a "blogging day" since I had a review due and a few online things to catch up on, plus it was rainy and everything aches, so the little kids spent lots of time playing, they wrote words or drew pictures that I told them to on their small Magna-doodles, and they helped do chores and played with the baby (who spent the rest of his time in my lap since he is cranky and sick). Tex, of course, is self-directed, and completed his work online as usual, helping out when needed. He even made dinner and did the dishes. What a treasure!

Anyhow, once the kids headed to bed (after the last three chapters of their read aloud chapter book were finished!), I took the time to check out a few links I had discovered over the course of the day, and Seeds of Faith was one of them. I don't often find the time to "surf the net" without strict intention, but tonight I did, and I figured I might as well share what I found with you and see if you had any thoughts and comments.

Here are a few of the very interesing and thought-provoking links and articles I found:

 Hallee the Homemaker: Loving a Life of Biblical Womanhood has an excellent post on What the Culture is NOT Telling Your Daughter About Sex. My daughters are too young to have discussions on more than modesty and the basics of Biblical womanhood at this point, but the truths in this post are good for all of us women to read. I love the part where Hallee points out the fact that while the Bible tells us to put on the full armor of God and confront many things without fear, when it comes to sexual sin, it instructs us to FLEE. Heavy stuff.


Chocolate on my Cranium tells about Large Family Homeschooling. She has some fabulous ideas on developing a solid structure for your homeschooling. She shares Stephen Covey's ideas about filling the jar with the largest stones (the really important things like Bible study and your family) first, then adding the smaller pebbles (the less important things that often steal our time) and the sand (entertainment and trivial things), instead of the other way around. I am definitely going to follow her ten days of posts to see what other ideas she has to share (they are an LDS family, so be aware of potential theological differences on other areas of the site). I am sure they will be good ones (she has eight children, so she does have some experience with large families!). I am reading Large Family Logisitics by Kim Brenneman and finding that there is a lot to be learned in it, not only for me (since I have six kids), but for anyone with ANY number of kids. This blog is part of the Heart of the Matter's Blog Hop called 10 Days of Homeschooling. You can see other contributors listed at the bottom of Chocolate on my Cranium's post.


Join Confessions of a Homeschooler for 10 Days of Homeschooling Enrichment. The articles are designed to help you firm up your conviction to homeschool. Today's post is on defining your vision (there is even a printable handout...how's that for helpful?!). Why do you homeschool? Figure that out and you will never have to question your decision. You know what reason I have for homeschooling? Because years ago, God made it clear that was what He wanted our family to do. I resisted it. I had second thoughts. But now I am certain that homeschooling is God's decision for MY family, and I will never do anything else unless and until GOD tells me He has changed His mind and wants us to do something different (and tells me that with a neon sign or something like it in the sky!!). I can't tell you how much easier it is to homeschool just admitting that fact. I don't have to worry every year if homeschooling is the best decision...God has already seen what is to come, and for us He has decided that it is what we are to do. Thank you, Lord. I LOVE homeschooling. Can you tell?

My friend, D. posted this article by the Say Anything blog on her facebook page. I like to read what D. posts because she has a lot of values in common with me. This article is about a Harvard Report on how We May Be Pushing Too Many Kids into College. I have been thinking along these lines for years, ever since we needed to start thinking about Bubba and college. It was a hard realization to come to (diverging from the expected path...college after high school), but thankfully, the Lord put several excellent seminars in my path about apprenticeships and alternatives to college, and also thankfully, Hubby and I listened. Bubba is a farrier now and VERY happy with his work. He has always loved working with his hands and doing things outside...from gardening in costume with the Master Gardeners at Colonial Williamsburg, to training animals, to running his own lawn maintenance service, to shoeing horses. He enjoys utilizing his strength and common sense, and he is good at almost anything physical he tries.

This doesn't mean he isn't brilliant. Our neighbors and many of his clients often would ask (and still sometimes do), "When is he going to go to college to get his degree?" as if by his NOT getting a degree he is doing something wrong. But he is not. He is doing what is right for him, right now. Yes, someday he may wind up getting a degree. He knows more about history than I do by a longshot and LOVES anything historic, especially American History. He is also good at accounting and has a clear thinking head on his shoulders with good busines sense. Those qualities helped him start a successful lawncare (and housesitting) business by age 15, and have helped him develop his own current farrier business. He can do anything he wants to do, and right now he wants to be a farrier. Getting a degree is NOT necessary for shoeing horses (though an apprenticeship and post-high school farrier training was). Yet some would say that almost every high school graduate should go to college, rack up debt, and practically waste four years just to graduate, have no idea what they want to do, and wind up making less money than Bubba will be making after a just a year on his own, with no degree and NO debt, and they will likely be doing something they only marginally enjoy. Hmmm. Makes you think, doesn't it? I hope so.


Our Journey Westward talks about the Charlotte Mason style of homeschooling in the post Why Charlotte Mason? I consider our style to be eclectic, but if I had to choose just ONE style to typify our days, I would choose Charlotte Mason. I think it is an excellent beginning (and ending) point, and it is perfect for those who have younger children and children with special needs. It is a gentle style that stresses not only education, but a love of learning (and books) and encourages proper behavior as a necessity for proper learning. "Education is an atmosphere, a discipline, a life" is a Charlotte Mason precept. "I can, I ought, I will" is another well-loved saying of hers. If only we all applied those teachings to all we do...along with all of the good ones in our Bibles that come straight from God.

Lastly, here is a link to the Heart of the Matter 10 Days of Homeschooling Blog Hop so you can explore the other interesting articles about homeschooling, if you like. Enjoy!

Blessings,

Heather

2 comments:

Bethany LaShell said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog the other day and leaving your thoughts on "It's (Not) All in Your Head." The more perspectives the better!

My oldest daughter LOVES horses & would love to live on a farm one day. Unfortunately, her mother (me!) is a city girl to the core!

Montserrat said...

I wanted to thank you for your kind words! I have yet to read Large Family Logistics but have heard many good reviews about it. I am sure there are some things I could glean from it. There is always room for improvement, right?

The article about college has been an interesting read. My husband's family are all farmers starting from way back when. They all went to college to find their spouses ☺ then ended back on the farm where practical living experience is more valuable than a college degree.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...