Monday, July 18, 2011

Menu Plan Monday (and a good read aloud!)


Is summer flying by, or what?  I can hardly keep up. No matter how much I get done, I just keep feeling like there is so much to do before the school year starts (for us, in August, as we take December off completely) and I just need MORE TIME!!!

In order to find more time, I am going SKIMPY on the meals this week. The munchkins will just have to deal with simple foods, I say. I never did suffer from a few meals of cereal, sandwiches, and that spaghetti out of a can. I loved that stuff. I can't figure out why, but I did.

Hopefully, by the end of this week, IF I use my time wisely, I can feel more in control and less like I am going out of my mind. Aaaaaaaahhhhh! It's summer, folks. Aren't we supposed to be relaxing? I need to get a grip.

----------------------------------------

Monday---It's hubby's first night of a big conference that he's in charge of at work, so we plan to have our Easy Chicken Alfredo (recipe below) served with corn (sprinkled with Mrs. Dash's Italian medley and butter for a savory flavor) and a fruit cup for the kids, salad for the adults.

Tuesday---I have an afternoon meeting to firm up my recertification paperwork, so Tex will be babysitting in the afternoon. I figure I will stop by the bread store on the way home and pick up some of their thick-sliced Texas Toast bread so we can make easy french toast (I always add a touch of vanilla and a sprinkle of cinnamon to mine...how about you?) Topped with a pool of butter and warm syrup. Turkey Bacon on the side.

Wednesday---I have an afternoon online seminar to attend, so easy is the plan. We have plenty of eggs, so I was thinking fried egg sandwiches with cheese all around, served with fruit, cherry tomatoes (we have a ton of those...Boo calls them "balls"), and carrots chips.

Thursday---I'm in the mood for...something else easy. How about chili in the crockpot? I know, it sounds odd when it is blazing hot outside to have chili, but those boys can add the hot sauce to theirs, and they say that hot sauce opens up your pores and helps you cool off, right? Isn't that how it works? Anyway, we have so many jalepenos we are so not going to use, I think they need to make some pico de gallo to go with it (and Santitas for dippin'). Anyone have a good recipe for jalepeno jelly? Maybe I need to consider making some.

Friday---Traditionally pizza and a movie night, I am amending it to Nachos and a Movie Night. A bit of Velveeta in the chili and some lettuce, tomato, and sour cream on the side turns chili and tortilla chips into Nachos on the second night. It is hubby's last night of his conference, so maybe he will make it home in time to watch the movie with the kids. I hope so.

Saturday---Tacos. I am just in the mood for Mexican this week. It must be our read aloud that is affecting me this way (see below). Besides, there's all that pico we will need to use up...and there is no shortage of tomatoes around here. The bushes are overflowing with tomatoes of all shapes and sizes. Yum.

Sunday---Chicken strips and mashed potatoes with corn on the cob. A perennial favorite and simple since I've made it so many times.

------------------------------------------

Our Easy Chicken Alfredo recipe

One can of Campbell's Creamy Chicken and Mushroom soup
One jar of Alfredo sauce
1 package of chicken breast tenders (or pre-cooked chicken strips will do)
1 tbs or so of olive oil
garlic salt
Cooked spaghetti (or other noodle...as much as is needed for your family)
about a half soup can of milk
parmesan cheese

Heat the oil in a skillet. Take your chicken tenders and sprinkle them with garlic salt (lightly). Cook until cooked through (I like mine starting to get golden), chopping them into smaller bites as they cook (I chop mine about the size of a quarter...it goes farther that way). Set aside. Combine the soup and the alfredo sauce. Split the half can of milk between the can and jar to swish and get the rest of the soup/sauce out. Heat up, being careful not to scald it. Serve on top of spaghetti or linguine noodles, and top with the chicken and parmesan cheese. Serve with garlic bread and salad.

---------------------------------------------

Our Read-Aloud of the Week:

Flat Stanley's Worldwide Adventures: The Amazing Mexican Secret

Our local library is sponsoring a reading program called One World, Many Stories this year, and part of that program includes a selection of Flat Stanley Worldwide tales to places like Mexico, Japan, Canada, Mt. Rushmore, Africa, and Egypt.


Each of the stories has its own backpack kit, in which you find a few picture books on topics related to the world area from the story (our kit has a book called Cinco de Mouse-o and a book called I Wanna Iguana), a few manipulative items (our kit has marracas, a puppet armadillo, and a Spanish song cd), and our very own Flat Stanley to color.

Whether or not you are close enough to a library to participate in this year's reading program, you can join in on the Flat Stanley fun! Just print up your own letters of introduction for a your flat journey, and the accompanying journaling pages, then send your Flat fellow out to have adventures unknown. If you don't like the classic look of Flat Stanley, have a look at these different flat folks. Check out the Flat Stanley Project for more ideas and information. I hear there's even a Flat Stanley app in the iPhone app store. Kinda makes me wish I had a fancy phone...


Here's a fun library song to go with the One World, Many Stories theme...and it's free, too.


More information on exploring your world can be found at Growing Up Global.

Enjoy your week and keep on READing!!

Blessings,



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...